John has practiced in the regulatory, commercial litigation and antitrust fields locally and across the African region for over 20 years. He has been recognized as a leader in his field for many of these. Recently, John represented Business at the OECD as the first regional representative. John has acted in many of the leading antitrust, commercial litigation and regulatory matters in South Africa and the region. He has been a partner in a major South African firm, co-founder of a South African practice and the founder of a Pan-African legal group.
• Successfully advised Monsanto & Company in relation to the USD 66 billion acquisition by Bayer ATKG before the South African agencies
• Represented Allergan Plc in the much-publicised proposed acquisition of Allergan by Pfizer Incorporated.
• Advised Comcast in relation to regional antitrust issues during its bid for 20th Century Fox
• Successfully advised both Samsung Electronics Company Limited and Harman International Industries Incorporated in obtaining unconditional clearance of the large merger before the South African competition authorities
• Successfully advised Merck & Co. and Sanofi-Aventis SA in relation to their much publicised animal health joint venture
• Advised Verizon Business in relation to the disposal of its South African business to MTN Limited
• Advised Anglo American in relation to the sale of Anglo’s zinc assets to Vedanta Plc
• Successfully represented Eli Lily Animal Health Elanco in relation to the acquisition of Novartis Animal Health before the South African competition authorities
135 Daisy Street Sandton, Johannesburg, 2031, South Africa
+27 11 083 2411 /+27 82 233 0884
As an active member of the ICC’s Fraudnet, the world’s leading asset recovery group, Michael-James is well versed with the anti-corruption laws in Southern Africa as well as the UK Bribery Act and the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
Michael-James’ practice in this area includes conducting internal investigations, compliance, litigation and asset recovery.